Monday, December 26, 2022

Paper matters

Pigments are important, but so is paper. I painted these 3 pieces one after the other. It's quite cold outside so we have the heat on, and my watercolours were drying very quickly. Too quickly for what I wanted to do. I'm showing them to you in order of preference rather than chronological.

This one I painted in about 10 minutes, on Arches rough paper, with some gouache water in the sky, and phthalo turquoise and burnt umber (mostly) in the land. I haven't used rough paper in quite a while, but I love the variety of edges, soft to rough. It just fell into place.

I'm calling this one Glacial Lakes 1

 
This one is Glacial Lakes 2. I painted it on cold press paper. I had to use some scratching to stop the paint from escaping totally into the sky.


This one is East Coast 2 (and the first one I painted that day). I was interested in reproducing some of the effects I achieved in the first version, but using less gouache. It looks nice in photo. And I like the colours and values, more subtle than my usual.



No comments:

Post a Comment