Monday, February 08, 2021

Bitten more than I can chew?

I have to keep telling myself it's only an elephant! 

I know I should have done thumbnails, value sketches, thought about composition, etc etc, but sometimes the quickest way for me is to jump right in and SEE what I need to work on. So this is the second scene I picked for the weekend workshop. It's a view of Sandyford Industrial Estate not far from where I live. And I chose a photo I took where the focus is the cars!! Cars are not my strong suit. But also, clearly, perspective and composition don't come naturally to me either!! But I discovered that if I crop it vertically, it's much more interesting, and I don't have to worry about the side view of the cars in the garage!!

The great thing about doing this is that what I end up painting in the workshop will be better than this version, so it's win win!!


I hope you agree with me that the vertical crop is better than this:

First layer was even more horrible!

2 comments: