Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Thumbnails

OK - still not feeling like painting a proper painting. But rather than wasting time, I picked up my paintbrush, found some photos in my Art Ideas folder and set to work in my painting sketchbook.

How many sketchbooks do I need? How many do I have?
I have about a dozen on the go, although I haven't touched about half of those in a few weeks or months. I have one for urban sketching, I have one for painting ideas, I have one for online courses, I have one for my handbag, I have one for travelling, I have one for sketching people, I have one with good quality watercolour paper, I have one with really cheap paper. Well, that's about all I can think of right now.

It's too much really - I have this idea that if I was a proper artist, I would only ever have one on the go at any one time, and it would contain all the sketches and ideas of the moment. And I could track my progress chronologically.

But that's not how it works for me. I need to compartmentalise. For some reason that I can't explain. And anyways, does it really matter?

So, a flower and a landscape. I've tried to jazz up the colours. Maybe I needed to cheer myself up? To forget the cold wind and the frequent showers?

My only conclusion from this little exercise is that I like red-orange and cobalt turquoise together.

Will I now move to proper watercolour paper? Or continue dilly-dallying while I wait for inspiration? I can't say. But it's still better than watching the telly or browsing on the computer.


No comments:

Post a Comment