Saturday, September 23, 2017

Buildings - Lesson 2 - indoor assignments

I won't bore you with the details, but lesson 2 is about adding elements that stick out (buttresses, window sills, etc.), subtracting elements that stick in (windows and doors mostly), using the leading edge of the roof so that it doesn't sit on top of the house like a cardboard box, and realising that cornices, gutters, fascia and all those things are generally thicker than you'd think!
I'm still at the stage where I get the shape of a roof completely wrong, so maybe I'm moving a bit too fast. But it's so much fun.
For this assignment, we went to Tasmania, where they have a lot of sash windows, which will be useful here in Ireland. And lots of dormer windows, which I hope never to have to face ever again!



We had to pick one of the houses and draw it again, focusing on the areas we struggled with in the first drawing. This time I didn't rush so much. I worked hard at the dormer windows, but they're still not structurally sound. And I discovered that the right-hand side of the house is on a slope. Would you believe me if I told you it never occurred to me that a house build on a slope still has to have a horizontal base? Just as well I'm not an architect!

And I couldn't help adding watercolour to one of them!


No comments:

Post a Comment