Saturday, September 16, 2017

Intro 3 - Working in a Structured Way

This intro lesson was the hardest for me - I tend to jump right in without planning. With disastrous results sometimes. Working in a structured way means starting with the larger shapes, checking angles and relationships before moving to details and colour. By relationships, I mean looking to see if the window is in the middle of the wall, checking that all the windows are at the same level, figuring out how many columns there are, how many panes in the windows - basically trying to fit everything into the framework. 
For this approach, it's best to start with pencil, and only when you have the broad outline making sense, then you can move to pen to add some detail, and finally going to watercolour for the fun bit!
And I thought this little building looked easy! Since I don't take photos of buildings much, I had to go back to our trip to Australia-New Zealand (nearly 10 years ago!) to find some interesting places! Rakaia, if I remember right, was on our way from Kaikoura (where we went whale watching) to Oamaru (famous for its penguins!). Looking at Google Maps, it looks like there is a big bridge crossing a wide river bed. I remember that too. Although I think it's not the only town with that feature. Maybe we got petrol there? Or we just stopped briefly after going through Christchurch? I remember nothing else from this town, I have to admit. It was a long drive. And the scenery was wonderful, from start to finish! It's a pity it's so far away. I wouldn't mind going back!



No comments:

Post a Comment