Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Dublin Castle on a rainy day

My last assignment on SBS Seeing was to go out into the world and draw a local building. All very well when you live in Australia or sunny California. Although one of the artists I follow, Shari Blaukopf, lives in Montreal, and draws and paints right through the winter. But I am not driving at the moment, so even getting to certain locations, let alone spending time in the wind and rain, can be tricky at this time of the year in Dublin.

But I did go to the Chester Beatty Library a short while back and I did take the opportunity to do a quick sketch on the grounds of Dublin Castle while I was there. I stood under an awning just outside the building where they held all these Bertie corruption tribunals a few years ago, and drew the basic proportions of the building across the yard. It was a rough sketch. And I took a photograph. And then I rushed on. I really need to join an urban sketching group.

So I drew this from the photograph. Which is probably why it looks so stiff. But I think I captured the arches quite well. And the greyness of the day.


And while writing this, I decided to see if I could find any urban sketching group in Dublin and I've discovered Dublin Sketchers. So it will be onwards to new adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment