Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Undomestic Goddess

Mary gave me a loan of a book last week - the perfect book to read on the train up to Sligo. It's the Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella. The perfect summer read in the chick lit style. It's light, but the characters are so likeable that you want to know what will happen next, and how their lives will turn out. Basically, it's the story of Samantha, a stressed-out 29-year-old lawyer, who has to escape her old life, and finds herself a housekeeper for a rich couple somewhere down the country. It's very funny, as she struggles to make sandwiches in the kitchen, turns clothes pink in the washing machine, and learns how to iron a shirt. And of course, there is love around the corner. And a plot full of twists and turns. There is one sex scene which is completely delirious (in a raspberry cage - don't ask - I have no idea what a raspberry cage looks like - where I come from, raspberry bushes grow beside a wire support.). I would recommend the book just for that scene. Overall it's a great love story, with good guys and bad guys and poor Samantha who is trying to sort out her life. It would make the perfect movie.

By the way, I've found this real cool website where you can discover other writers you might like. You just enter the name of a writer you like, and names of other writers appear in a cloud around it. The closer the name, the more likely you are to also like that writer. It sounds like great fun. I think you can do the same with music. Mind you, I found that my Firefox was hanging when I was on that site, and the CPU on my Mac was maxing out. I thought I was going to have to rewrite this post, so I went downstairs for my dinner, in the hope that it would sort itself out, and it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment