Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Laptop bag

In my work in PC Medic, I tend to jump from machine to machine, but I have 2 favourites - my Mac mini & my Lenovo x60. Two very different little machines. We got the Mac mini last year, as a way to learn more about Macs. Not too many of our customers use Macs, but there are a few. I hadn't used a Mac since I left ITP about 11 years ago, so it was high time to catch up!

A quick aside - I still remember the first time I used a Mac! I was working in Softrans (that places this event between 1987 and 1988), and I had to work overtime at a weekend to make some last-minute changes to a translation. As the manual we were working on was already typeset, I had to make the changes using whatever DTP application we were using at the time (this was before FrameMaker was available I think). Anyways, I had to make these changes on a Mac. I had never used a mouse before and you can imagine the fun I had navigating around the document with this new tool! But I survived! And I got to enjoy working with Macs. They were such a breath of fresh air compared to DOS! I still remember the key combinations to load and save documents in Word for DOS (Word 3, if I remember correctly): Escape, Transfer, Load and Escape, Transfer, Save. A blast from the past!

So, I love my Mac Mini. It's such a neat little box, that fits perfectly on my tiny desk. It's not the fastest. iPhoto in particular seems to tax it a bit. But it's a great little machine. I love the genie effect when you minimise windows, and I love it when you move the cursor to the top left corner that you can see all the open windows at once and you can jump from application to application.

Recently, we got a Lenovo x60 laptop. As I'm giving more and more one-to-one training, it's handy to have a laptop with me. I wanted something highly portable - small and light - but also powerful, and the x60 fits the bill perfectly. It got great reviews, and I love the finger-print log-on. So I don't need to worry about my password! I just swipe my finger over the reader and it recognises me instantly!

But there isn't much point in having a tiny laptop if your laptop bag is big and clunky. So we got an ACME MADE bag from the laptop shop. Absolutely gorgeous - black with pink circles and I love it to bits!

No comments:

Post a Comment