Friday, March 19, 2021

One Week 100 People - Day 3

Another day, another opera - I moved to Iphigénie en Tauride, an opera I had seen a few years ago at the Met HD with Brendan, and he loved it as much as I did, and he's not an opera fan. But there was so much drama, and beautiful music, that it was hard to not enjoy it!

Basically, Agamemnon kills his daughter Iphigénie to gain favour with the gods and win some war, but she is saved by a goddess and lives in a prison in Tauride for 15 years, when she is reunited with her brother, Oreste. She is told by her captor she has to kill him. She's a priestess of some sort. But she can't. She doesn't know he is her brother, but she feels a connection with him. All very dramatic, with beautifully simple sets. Sung by Susan Graham and Placido Domingo.

So here are my sketches from the first few minutes. By the way, I pause the opera when I'm doing these. I'm a fast sketcher, but not that fast. And I'm a bit rusty with drawing people. Haven't seen many in the last year!! 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment