Monday, March 01, 2021

Back to basics - The Blaskets

One of the things I wanted to work on was how to paint the islands in the distance so that they would look like islands, but be almost merging with the sky at the same time, due to cloud or sea-mist. I worked with just three colours: cerulean blue, quinacridone rose and monte amiata natural sienna.

These are D11 to D14. You know the drill. D11 and D12 were disastrous to start with, but I managed to recover them by painting a loose wash over the sky. And then I waited until the paint was drying, but not dry, and then I applied thicker paint for the clouds. Waiting for just the right moment, and thinking about the amount of water in my brush is essential. I know this! I just need to remember it when I'm in the thick of it! But also, I need to remember to let myself go, go wild, not think too much! Difficult balance for me to reach!

It might look like 4 different islands, but it's actually mostly Great Blasket island, with bits of rocks and islands around and behind it. I've actually never been on the island. Having to get into a dinghy to get onto a boat, and then off the boat into another dinghy to get onto the island doesn't appeal to me. I'm not good with boats! But something inside of me longs for the solitude and beauty of the island, off-season preferably. Although the Atlantic is too choppy for me at the best of times!

Which one do you like best?




No comments:

Post a Comment