Saturday, March 06, 2021

Beara - the thumbnail years


So the journey begins once again. My next project is a view I have tackled before, but never to my complete satisfaction.  If you search for the word Beara at the top left of my blog, you'll see my various attempts and other digressions on other views from the wonderful Beara Peninsula in the South West of Ireland. Beara is the lesser-known of the Kerry and Cork peninsulas. It doesn't have the sweeping beaches of the Dingle Peninsula, nor the towns where hotels can develop into monsters, nor the big castles with sweeping grounds that coach-loads of tourists can visit. It has rugged mountains, rocky shores and twisty roads. In other words, the perfect hidden gem. Which I only discovered a few years ago on a short visit with a friend - we stayed with a friend of hers and I loved the faraway feel of it. I was there again in 2019 with Deb - we stayed in a delightful AirBnB in the middle of nowhere, and we drove up and down boreens, and we sketched it all.

As is my usual problem, I can't decide what I want to focus on - I love the sweeping view, the blue mountains, the twist in the road, the trees on the bend in the road, the golden light hitting the grass, the purple clouds. Sometimes when I look at my photo, I think of Out of Africa, the golden land, a hidden valley, a mystery that's there for me to discover... But painting is choosing, and editing out. So be prepared for many many thumbnails while I explore what this land is saying to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment