Wednesday, March 17, 2021

One Week 100 People - Day 1

One Week 100 People - I can't believe how quickly and slowly this year has gone. It feels like the last One Week 100 People is such a long time ago. And yet, I remember it so clearly, when I sketched on the tram, the thrill of it! We're still stuck to our 5 kms, cafés and shops and museums are closed and I had to find something else to keep me motivated. So I turned to opera, first on YouTube, then on the Met Opera On Demand app, and had a wonderful time sketching dramatic figures from various pieces. I am still making my way through Marion Rivolier's book and her chapter on sketching people in watercolour proved extremely useful!

The first page is from Orphée et Eurydice, from the Paris Opera, a very stylised production!


Then I moved to the Met Opera New York, with the wonderful production of Philip Glass's Satyagraha. I experimented with washes, drawing with a brush, switching to my left hand and painting in negative space. Then I had fun with the crazy colours that were presenting themselves to me!






No comments:

Post a Comment