Wednesday, April 22, 2020

USk Virtual - Top of O'Connell Street



'Simon Dedalus said when they put him in parliament that Parnell would come back from the grave and lead him out of the house of commons by the arm.
...
They passed from behind Mr Bloom along the curbstone. Beard and bicycle. Young woman.'

For Easter, we were sketching, virtually, between the GPO and the Garden of Remembrance. I chose this building at the top of O'Connell street, at the corner or Parnell Square. Because it's a busy junction and it would be hard to sit in the middle of the road and sketch while cars, busses and trams zoom by. And because it's a gorgeous building.

OK, at first glance, this looks like my usual kind of sketch, but it's not - first of all, I painted the shapes, then added pen on top. And then, a thing I find hard to do, I didn't draw every single window. And you probably hadn't noticed until I told you! Plus I added a car. And the statue of Charles Stewart Parnell, which actually stands on a big monument to the left of the spot I'm standing on. But I decided to make two sketches out of it, rather than a badly-composed one.

Charles Stewart Parnell, now that brings back memories. College project in first year, with Martine, for VDH. When he said "not bad", we were over the moon. And that was the start of my life-long love affair with Ireland!

No comments:

Post a Comment