Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Áras an Uachtaráin

I'm enjoying these virtual outings with Dublin Sketchers! We go places we wouldn't be able to go to otherwise, the weather is never cold or wet, and I don't have to carry my bag of tricks!
So, Louise had this wonderful idea for us to go to Áras an Uachtaráin, the beautiful house in the Phoenix Park where our president, Michael D. Higgins lives with his wife Sabina. The two locations that caught my eye the most were the maze garden and the entrance hall. 
For the garden, I worked in direct watercolour, with a touch of watercolour pencil to help me keep important angles where they should be. I added the background in light pen.
For the hall, it was all about that amazing painting and the contrast of its fluidity with the formal ceiling. 
Thoroughly enjoyed it. We'll be back again, Mr President!


By the way, I'm currently working in a Seawhite of Brighton watercolour sketchbook, and I'm enjoying the paper very much. It's almost like the old Moleskine watercolour paper - not quite as vibrant in terms of how the colours work, but smooth enough for fountain pen and textured enough for lovely granulations.


And yes, it used to be the viceregal lodge, the residence of the British viceroy in Ireland, before Ireland became independent, so I had no trouble finding a quote in Ulysses!
'And the viceroy was there with his lady.'


No comments:

Post a Comment