Monday, April 27, 2020

Drawing our food


Another day, another challenge! After drawing my own flat sourdough, I needed to be inspired by my friends in Dublin Sketchers and their wonderful food arrangements. Where would we be without Zoom? But now that I think of it, I also want to sketch my own arrangement, which was a pyramid of tins from Lidl! - next time, I'll start with my own!! I didn't draw everybody's food, I have to admit. Strangely, I find that sketching from Zoom gives me almost the same buzz as sketching from life. But sketching from a photo does nothing for me. And yet, another things I can't explain, is that when I paint in watercolours, I work from photos 90% of the time. I would love to do a lot more plein air work, but, even without a pandemic, it's a challenging past-time in Ireland - paint that won't dry because of the damp air, easel that goes flying in the wind, ... Still lives are definitely more relaxing!



And I have a couple more pages in my sketchbook for Joyce quotes, so here we go: 'Famine, plague and slaughters. Their blood is in me, their lusts my waves... I spoke to no-one: none to me.'

No comments:

Post a Comment