Thursday, April 23, 2020

Bread


I actually sketched this one before Róisín Curé did her USkTalks interview with Rob Sketcherman. I had baked my sourdough bread last week. It turned out flatter than I would have liked. Same thing again this week, despite adding a bit more flour so the dough isn't so wet, and giving it a good stretch before placing it in the Dutch over (or Le Creuset to you and me). But I think the problem is timing. My starter is lively and boozy. The dough looks good at the start. But I let it sit overnight and when I come down and look at it in the morning, it's like it's exhausted itself, rising beyond its ability. So I can do one of two things: 1: get up at 4 am, or 2: bake in the evening. Neither is ideal as I like to have fresh bread for lunchtime. Two friends have sent me tips and recipes. My husband has shown me YouTube videos. What bothers me, though, is that the recipe I follow never gave me any trouble before - it was a different starter, of course, but I knew my dough was bouncy and happy and it never failed. Whereas now, I know it lacks energy. I just need to get my schedule sorted!

No comments:

Post a Comment