Tuesday, March 19, 2019

View from KC Peaches

I'd already done the big sweeping view of Dame street on my recce visit to KC Peaches, so I picked a different viewpoint. There were a good few sketchers who turned up, and I think everyone enjoyed the afternoon, particularly when the rain turned heavy and we were nice and cosy.
And if you like brownies, my personal favourite is KC Peaches' gluten-free version!


I had never paid much attention to that building on the corner of Dame Street and Great South George's Street, but it grabbed me, after I was finished painting my cup of tea (chamomille) and my chocolate brownie, that is.

I was intrigued by the B carving at the top of the building - there was a sign on the right that said 'Burton' - I gathered it used to be a department store or something like that. It is a beautiful art deco building, and the renovation on the ground floor works well with the overall look of the façade. Click on this link to see how it looked a few years ago. I remember a Philips store there many moons ago, where we bought a photostream device that was all the rage at the time. I used to spend hours every few months copying photos over to the SD card and reducing them to the right format so that I could maximise the number of photos it could display. I kind of miss it - not the time spent, but the scrolling of photos, bringing back memories of holidays and loved ones. I probably have more photos on my phone than I ever had on that device, but it's often multiple versions of the same shot, and I rarely look at them anyway!

And I found a mention of chocolate in Ulysses that fitted the mood!

'BLOOM: (Takes the chocolate.) Aphrodisiac? Tansy and pennyroyal. But I bought it. Vanilla calms or? Mnemo. Confused light confuses memory. Red influences lupus. Colours affect women’s characters, any they have. This black makes me sad. Eat and be merry for tomorrow. (He eats.) Influence taste too, mauve. But it is so long since I. '

1 comment:

  1. Link didn't work for me but must have a look at that building next time I'm in town. Lovely sketch.

    ReplyDelete