Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Bridge over troubled water

This is a view that's been on my mind for a while, but I've never got to the point where I actually try to paint it! A few years ago, we walked the Gap of Dunloe, on a hot summer's day. At every turn of the road, the view changed. It was really exciting. I did a little bit of sketching. And I took a lot of photos. But as is often the case with sunny skies in the middle of the day, a lot of my photographs were not good subjects for painting.
Anyways, I keep coming back to this photo of an old bridge over a stream which is more rocks than water.
So, let's start with thumbnails and colours!
I quite like this continuous line drawing. Maybe that's what I need to do, rather than a watercolour?


Lots of thinking and a few good ideas, but I often forget to apply these when I start painting! Like connecting all the darks, and looking for dominance in shape, colour and value!


No comments:

Post a Comment