Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Exploring Glendalough

I want to get back to real painting, I mean not just urban sketching or playing with oil pastels, although all art is good for the soul and good practise. The tricky thing for me is to feel that I'm having fun while at the same time planning my painting the best I can in terms of centre of interest, composition, colours and values. Always tricky for me as I find everything interesting when I look at a landscape photo or paint en plein air.
Colours is generally not a problem for me. But composition and values often are.
So, before I start on good paper, I'm back to trying out ideas in a sketchbook. It's worked well for me in the past, the idea that I can be spontaneous when I'm painting, but only after I've done my homework. I am who I am, that can't be helped.

Despite all the other thumbnails, this composition is still my favourite, and basically the way it was on the day!
Trying different compositions and colours. The more variants I try, the harder it is to decide. (And you know what? When I actually put brush to paper, I totally ignored these thumbnails and tried something different!)




No comments:

Post a Comment