Sunday, March 24, 2019

Sunflower field

This is just what I needed. Something crazy and loose to remind me what watercolour painting is all about (for me anyway).

I started with two quick sketches, based on a photo I took a while back on a short trip to the South West of France, just at the time when sunflowers were at their best. What a glorious sight it was! (and as you can see, I haven't completely set aside the idea of green trees!!)











I then did a quick painting in a small watercolour sketchbook, just for the fun of it, and I used watercolour pencils to add a little bit of texture.






I explored calligraphic marks too.

























And then I painted quickly and loosely and with rich pigments on a really heavy and rough paper (Two Rivers I think). Colours are Cobalt Blue, Moonglow, Pyrrole Red, Aureolin Yellow, Permanent Rose (PV19), a dash of Potters Pink and two dots of Cobalt Teal (PG50). All paints Daniel Smith (except Potters Pink), which is now available in Evans in Dublin. This is so exciting, to know I can get the paints I need without having to order them from the UK!!


No comments:

Post a Comment