Saturday, September 22, 2018

Life Drawing - Deirdre - watercolour

I switch to watercolour paper when we get to the last pose before the break. As generally that pose is reprised after the break, so I get the chance to draw 1st, then go into watercolour. A fairly simple standing pose. And yet I needed all the time available to draw and paint it!

I was sorry I didn't bring two blocks of watercolour paper - the Moleskine sketchbook paper doesn't do the ostrich feathers justice. But I had to swap between  good watercolour paper and the sketchbook to let the paint dry between poses!


For the last pose of the night, I went back to my good watercolour paper and I went to direct watercolour, i.e. no drawing first. It was a 10- or 15-minute pose, so no time to think, just paint and hope for the best! I did elongate her torso, but I'm really happy with how the paint worked. Little touches of cerulean blue for shadows. And I encouraged the paint to do its magic, running and blending nicely. This is my favourite of the lot!

When I got home, I added a background to the first watercolour, which helps it a bit. I used the same three colours - New Gamboge, PV19 and Cerulean Blue - to keep the harmony


No comments:

Post a Comment