Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Sunflowers

Despite my attention deficit disorder (self-diagnosed, needless to say!!), I do tend to paint in series - exploring a particular style or subject for more than one painting at a time - does that count as a series? Even if I only do two? Do the studies in my studio sketchbook count? So, after the nasturtiums, here is a sunflower. One of my favourite flowers to paint! I should try out poppies too. And then move on to something else!!


Perylene Green is a brilliant idea for negative painting. On this one, I added a touch of Antwerp blue to create a better contrast with orange.

Here is the corresponding page from my studio sketchbook - a useful reference if I ever forget what colours I used! And also a way to try and discipline myself into identifying what the focus of the painting should be, and drawing a thumbnail before I jump into the unknown. I must go back through this book, as there are some ideas that I have not yet developed into paintings. That will be good for the winter months.

No comments:

Post a Comment