Friday, September 07, 2018

House in Kerry

I did say that the Lynda Gray style is not my style, much as I admire her work. But I still wanted to try it, with a different view and more muted colours.

I tried a few options in a sketchbook, and concluded that one wash with colours merging naturally as they are dropped in a flow of water was the best option. I also decided that drawing a line with more character was definitely better.


I then decided to get rid of one of the colours (Monte Amiata Natural Sienna), as it didn't give me the kind of greens I wanted. I replaced it by Hansa Yellow Light.

Here is the result:


I think I will have to give this one more go. Here is what I will be looking for in my next attempt:

  1. A line with character
  2. A wash of clean water to define the flow
  3. Dropping clean pigments in and letting them merge, tilting the paper as needed to help
  4. Use Hot Press paper
  5. Choose non-granulating pigments - so French Ultramarine (or any Ultramarine) is out and Piemontite Genuine is out too! I'll probably end up with PV19 for red. But I'm really not sure about the blue - Phthalo is too strong, but maybe I can dilute it a lot a see what happens!
  6. Try to go even paler than this





No comments:

Post a Comment