Sunday, September 23, 2018

St Stephen's Green - quiet spots and dancing at the Bandstand

I have to admit that I wasn't really excited about the location for last Sunday's Dublin Sketchers outing. I had sketched in St Stephen's Green not that long ago, in August actually, and I felt that it would be hard to beat that gorgeous day. 
But September in Dublin can be full of surprises. We're supposed to be hit by the tail end of Hurricane Helene, but so far all we've got in Dublin has been warm weather, and a little blustery wind today. Sunday was t-shirt weather and I made the most of it. 

I started in the shade, overlooking the pond from a quiet little spot. I actually had to wear my wooly hat to stay warm. After all my pen drawing last week, I decided to work very loose.


After a while, I heard music in the distance. I had to go and check it out. Expecting to find a Swing band, I was delighted to discover dancers on the bandstand. I was so glad I had taken part in Suhita Shirodkar's workshop in Porto. So I picked up my brush pen and just tried to capture the gestures, adding colour and a little context afterwards. They might still be stick men, but they are dancing stick men (and women), don't you think?

These ones here were actually done before the big spread. As you can see it took me a while to figure out the gestures. I added colour afterwards, first with watercolour, and the last three with a few Marabu watercolour brush pens!





No comments:

Post a Comment