Thursday, September 06, 2018

Sketching in the rain

Well, it was a heavy mizzle actually, if there is such a thing. And it was coming horizontally. I had found a great sketching spot, in the doorway of a closed shop. But when the rain started, I found it provided no shelter - it was like the rain was flying straight at my face and onto my paper! I got very frustrated, as the subject I had picked, the Carnegie library in Blackrock, was difficult - and the more I got annoyed with the weather, the more my concentration went and I made lots of mistakes! Plus the street was dead all around me.  I did add more lines and shadows after I got home, which helped a bit, but it's just now very lively. It does reflect my mood at the time!


After a while, I decided to move on. The weather actually looked like it was improving, so I went towards the waterfront, chatted to a new sketcher and set to work, feeling happy again. Until the same drizzle (well, I know it wasn't the same drizzle, but you know what I mean) came out of nowhere and I had to open my umbrella to protect my book. And then, I actually made it worse by adding lines after I got home!


At that point, I gave up and went to our meeting point, the Three Tun Tavern - lots of room and cheap prices. But don't expect great service - no herbal teas, and when I asked for a hot chocolate, I was given this block of chocolate and sugar on a stick and an empty mug and was told to go to the machine and press the hot milk button. I actually just see that it's part of a chain of 937 pubs and hotels across Ireland and the UK - quantity, but, in my limited experience, not quality!

No comments:

Post a Comment