Monday, September 03, 2018

View of Porto - How to tackle it? - What's my style?

A good friend, Pat McAfee, allowed me to use this photo he took in Porto - I was so busy sketching and chatting that I actually took very few photos that I could use for studio paintings. So I was delighted when he shared this.

This is a wonderful view of the hills and of houses that go up from the Douro river, each with its own character.

As soon as I saw this photograph, I really wanted to try to paint the view. I wanted to try something different from my usual style. You've seen the thumbnails.

So I explored, trying to work "in the style of" Lynda Gray. First of all, I'm nowhere near the beauty of her drawing and painting. I find her style really subtle and calming. 
I tried once. Then I tried again. So, then, I found myself wondering what is my style. I can't really answer that question. I know that I tend to paint much brighter colours. And also, I fill every bit of white space available, whereas Lynda Gray leaves vast spaces white. It's not something that I have given much thought to in the past. I always felt just glad to manage to draw what I saw and to paint colours that don't turn to mud. 

But now, I'm looking for more, I guess. And what I know now is that this is not it. While I love how the transparent colour layers shine through (something I want to explore further), I don't feel the overall look represents how I feel and who I am, and how I would normally respond to a landscape in front of me. When I look at that view, I love the lively jumble of houses and roofs, and this drawing is too controlled for me - it looks like a haunted city. So, for now, it's back to the drawing board for me (pun unintended)! Maybe explore the idea of flowing, glowing colours, but also have more fun with my lines?


No comments:

Post a Comment