Saturday, January 20, 2018

The Urban Sketcher


A brief revival of the "What I'm wearing today" series. (Roadkill hat bought in New Zealand 10 years ago, Costelloe+Costelloe scarf, Dunnes Stores long coat, mittens, jeans, boots, warm socks. Thermal underwear not shown). Never mind the thermals, I hear you say - but 'roadkill hat'? Really? Yes, really. It's 10 years old. And I bought it in New Zealand, at Lake Tekapo. It's a wool hat, made from the fur of small animals killed on the roads. Another memory of Lake Tekapo was an amazing sushi lunch. I don't think I ever ate so much sushi in my life! I wasn't a sketcher then, or I would have the evidence!
Sketching in Dublin in the winter is not for the faint-hearted - but at least it's not -35C, so my fingers are still attached. I just had to move to stay in the sun and keep warm. We rarely get temperatures below 0C actually, but the damp and the wind present extra challenges.
This outfit is actually not that different from what I wear for about 10 months of the year. I sketch all year round. No point in waiting for the good weather or even summer. It may not show up for a few years. Dublin is not LA.

No comments:

Post a Comment