Kevin and his team - David, Stan and Mikey (who seems to be Stan's helper) were here today at 8 am and worked all day, putting up plasterboard, boxing the foul pipes coming down from upstairs, and redirecting the downstairs loo's ventilation pipe.
They worked hard all day and are only just gone an hour now. Next week will be pretty intensive, with plasterers, plumbers, electrician, and by the end of the week our floors should be going in to be ready for the kitchen on the 22nd or 23rd. And there is still a radon barrier and fast-setting cement floor to be done, and extra plasterboards to be finished.
This is all dirty work, but they make a point of cleaning up before they leave, no matter how much we protest. The stairs were hoovered even, and the floor in the hall wiped. Better than I would do it! Though I spent a good bit of time cleaning up upstairs today (Long story).
And despite all of our efforts, there is still dust everywhere. I guess we were warned by Colman! I just couldn't imagine so much dust could be generated! At least we had no power cuts today. The electrician needs to cut off the power at various stages, naturally. And the power tools trip the switch on occasion. And if, like me, you have an electrical alarm clock, you end up having to reset it every evening before going to sleep. That's the only bit that's getting to me. I don't even mind having to bring the washing up upstairs. I have these lovely turquoise basins and I love using them. I do mind having to dry the dishes, though. I never liked that.
It's had its ups and downs, and we're here to see every bit of it (in some way, it's very exciting to be so involved in it, and in other ways, it would be easier to only see the progress once a week and leave it behind and go back go a clean house!), but it's all coming together nicely, and I'm very happy with Kevin and his team.
One final thing, before I put up the pictures: I believe Cathy was wondering why we had kept a pillar in the middle of the room. Although there are 6 heating pipes against that pillar, it wasn't the reason. These could have been redirected, no doubt (we actually moved these pipes, as they were stacked 3 and 3 and we needed to have them as tight against the wall as possible, as our kitchen units will be running in front of the pillar). And a single RSJ could have been put in place (though I'd imagine that would require some heavy lifting equipment). We just didn't want one huge cavernous room, but we wanted to create individual spaces within the room. It will all come together in the next 10 days or so, hopefully!
This is the insulation layers in our roof.
Boxing of pipes from upstairs. Very neat and tidy.
And a bit of wiring, if you're into that kind of thing.