Sunday, June 29, 2008

Lindis Pass

I've completed my Lindis Pass painting. I have to admit it was quite a struggle. After a successful foreground, I completely misjudged the background mountain, painting it too bright, with too many details vying for attention. It was awful. So, I wiped the background completely and started again (a soft brush with plenty of water to lift the colour, and some kitchen towel paper to blot out the paint). Some of the paint had absorbed into the paper already, and, as it turns out, the colours were just about right. All I had to do then was apply a light coat of neutral tint and some quinacridone gold.

A very pale sky (cerulean blue and a hint of yellow ochre), and it was done.

The only problem is that there are some dotted dark marks in the area I wiped. I can only assume it's greasy finger marks, though I'm always careful not to put my fingers on the paper. I'll just have to live with it.

It's my largest painting to date, 32x45 cm. Although it was scary at first (and the paper buckled a bit - disappointing for block paper, really), you do get to create nice big sweeps of colours. It's growing on me. I must go in search of my next painting now.


No comments:

Post a Comment