Saturday, June 08, 2024

Sketching in Nantes

OK, I'm not going to write lots here. I have written on the pages, so if you want to find out more, you will have to learn how to read my handwriting. Each sketch is a memory for me. The skyline of the city for instance, I associate with a cat who approached most sketchers who stopped at the location. I can feel the sun on my skin, or the rain. I remember who was there, my sense of excitement, who I talked to, if I was thirsty or hungry. Sketching is a record of a place of course, but I am at long last accepting the fact that my sketches are for me, and for nobody else. It doesn't matter to me if they read or if they show they important buildings. They tell my story. At the Château des Ducs de Bretagne, it was two chimneys that caught my eye. They were identical. So I only needed to draw one. And it's not an exact reproduction. It's all I need to be reminded of that morning. Hundreds other sketchers drew the full castle from every possible angle. I don't need to tell their story. Only my story. I loved Nantes. It was an exciting trip that almost didn't happen. All the more special.

Thursday 


Friday







Saturday











Sunday









Monday




Tuesday (Here I moved to a Koval watercolour sketchbook, as I had reached the last page in my Stillman&Birn Beta sketchbook)







No comments:

Post a Comment