Saturday, September 03, 2022

The Last Waltz

One last waltz in Rathmines. The rain finally arrived and I found shelter in the library, a beautiful Carnegie building, kneeling on a seat at the window to sketch Rathmines College across the way. Carnegie, of Carnegie Hall fame, was one of the wealthiest men in America in his days, and he believed strongly that the money he made should be given to help those less fortunate with education opportunities. He donated money for education and libraries around the world, including 80 libraries in Ireland, of which 62 have survived and are cherished. (source: Wikipedia). Wouldn't it be wonderful if the richest men in the world of today did the same with their billions But no, they seem to find it more interesting to race each other to space instead. What a waste. 

It was lovely to meet Sasala from Urban Sketchers London. She was only in Dublin for 2 days before heading to Galway. It was great that she was able to come to Rathmines with us, and meet a few of the others and see what we had been doing over the last few months!


Then I met up with the other sketchers in Starbucks. And sketched in what I call Lapin style, i.e. with a head larger than the body's proportions. It kind of worked. Jean wasn't upset with how I drew her, which is good!



Then we met up in Artmines to display our sketchbooks and take a few photos, celebrating the wonderful journey South, and discussing our plans for the next adventure. The two accordion books are Pat's. They worked really well for the purpose of a journey. I have one at home, but I haven't dared use it yet. I'm worried that if I make a mistake, I will feel that the whole sketchbook is ruined, whereas with my normal method, I can just turn the page and forget any bad sketch that inevitably happens along the way! It was lovely to have a space where we could meet and view our work all together. Thank you to Artmines for giving us the space at the back of the shop.










No comments:

Post a Comment