Saturday, September 24, 2022

College Green

College Green. And a reminder that precise drawing is not something I enjoy. I stared so much across the road, into the light, as I was facing South, that I got the start of a migraine. Thankfully it didn't develop into the full-blown thing. And I don't like the drawing. It's just not me. Much happier with the direct watercolour of the two ladies, mother and daughter, that I painted afterwards, to take my mind off the drawing I didn't like. I talked to them afterwards. They were Spanish I think. The daughter got a job in Dublin, but she can't find any accommodation - apparently there's even people who end up sharing a bed with a friend, because that's all they can get! It's a very real problem in Dublin, for students, young people who come here to work, for refugees, and for nurses, teachers, gardai, who are not earning enough to afford the crazy rents, let alone save for a mortgage. I was even reading that many young Irish people go and live in Barcelona, Brussels and even London where they can afford more reasonable accommodation and where the cost of living is not so crazy. Apparently, rents here are now higher than Paris and the French embassy has a warning on its website to French people who are thinking of moving to Ireland.

So anyway, all this to say that I was much more interested in the human story than in the beautiful architecture. I think it shows in how I sketch.






No comments:

Post a Comment