Monday, September 05, 2022

Qu'on voit danser

It seems I'm on a roll! Well, two paintings don't count as a roll, but it's progress all the same. 

I revisited photographs from Clogher beach on a stormy but bright day, which happens quite often. Swimming is not allowed there, as there are dangerous currents. Not that it stops Irish people in the summer. In the background is Clogher Head. I think it's called Waymont on Google Maps, for some strange reason. Clogher Head is my favourite place on earth. Unfortunately, I don't go there often enough. I think I need to start planning an annual art retreat to the Dingle Peninsula, while I'm still young enough to drive the 5 hours from Dublin!

It's a strange attraction. I can't really explain it. It's the Atlantic ocean, a rocky headland, looking out towards the Blasket islands, and the sky, ever changing. Not a tree, not a house. And yet to me, that landscape is so alive.

I painted mostly in direct watercolour. Then I added some fluid acrylic with a mascara brush and a small painting knife. Then a touch of darker watercolour at the base of the waves, where the waves cause a shadow. 

Done on rough Arches watercolour paper, about Quarter sheet size, but the French use different sizes than the British, so it's slightly bigger. I've had that block of watercolour paper for a long time, and I'm trying to use up the older paper. I'm on a drive to stop buying art supplies, so I have to use up what I have before buying more! That's good motivation for me!!




No comments:

Post a Comment