Monday, September 26, 2022

Sketches - self critique

Back to Watercolour on Location with Liz Steel. I need to bring her prompt sheet with me next time I go sketching! Because every time I go sketching, it's the same - I jump right in without thinking about the story I want to sketch. Yes, there is always something that catches my eye, and I feel a compulsion to sketch it, but most of the time, I can't articulate what it is. And that means that I sometimes add too much detail away from my focus, or I forget to paint strong values. The usual stuff! You'd think I'd remember it all by now!!

It's a good idea to keep a little notebook to reflect on sketches and identify trends in my work. I do that for paintings and find it really useful.




Here are the two sketches I am referring to in my notes. I've actually already mislaid the notebook! My art room is in bad need of a tidy-up!



No comments:

Post a Comment