Sunday, October 30, 2022

Turning South - clouds is what I want

This is still work in progress. I want to soften the bit above the wall so it doesn't attract too much attention, and I want to lighten the cars, or at least some of them, because they are too clunky. I might actually do a version without cars.

Because after all, all I was interested in was the sky. Morning just at sunrise, with lots of heavy clouds. I am so happy I kept my clouds soft, yet defined. Exactly what I was trying to achieve. First layer was Monte Amiata Natural Sienna, with a dash of Quinacridone Burnt Scarlet closer to the horizon. Second layer was Quinacridone Burnt Scarlet and Cerulean blue. Quin Burnt Scarlet was a recommendation from Shelley. I had bought a small tube a while ago and did a test with Cerulean blue and loved it, then I didn't think about it for a while, but it's an interesting pigment, PR206. And I love how its transparency works with semi-opaque Cerulean blue! I must try other mixes!

I used the same colours for everything else, plus Neutral Tint. And some Lavender and Pyrrole red for the cars. But as I said, I want to lift paint from the the cars. They attract too much attention. 

And can you spot the scratch in the paper? It really annoyed me when I saw it. It's not the end of the world, as this painting was never going to be a winner. But still I have no idea how I did it. But I need to be more careful next time!



Here is my revised versions - not sure they are better - trying to make the wall less obvious by adding the vegetation on top actually makes it more dominant. Should have experimented in Procreate before messing in watercolour!! Maybe the cropped version works better?

I'm much happier with the cars now, they're not so black and solid.




No comments:

Post a Comment