Monday, October 03, 2022

College Green & Trinity Street

(Again, this is a few weeks ago - I am currently at home in isolation!)

First day of the year sketching with woolly hat and mittens. I felt I had to sketch the Pen Corner building, as the shop is now closed and I wonder what will take its place in the future. Will it be a luxury brand, a hotel, or a cheap and cheerful worldwide chain? Who will take on this amazing structure in this prime location? I can imagine that the maintenance costs will be significant.

I added water-soluble graphite to my sketch when I got home, and a touch of watercolour to the closed shutter, as a focal point. I had trouble seeing the bottom of the building, as there is so much traffic going by all the time. But the shutter is a beautiful golden colour. It's always sad to see old shops disappear, to be replaced by something that will not be as interesting. That said, the one time I went in there and asked for waterproof ink, their attitude didn't encourage me to go back!

And if you would like to find out more about the architecture and history of this building, make sure to go to the buildingsofireland website!






No comments:

Post a Comment