Thursday, September 09, 2021

Grand Canal Dock

We were at Grand Canal Dock sketching a couple of weeks ago. As I was looking for a spot, I saw those kids in kayaks (or is it canoes? I don't know the difference!) practising with an instructor. They had to jump in the water and get back on. It took a bit of persuading to get the first one in, but after that, there was no stopping them. Major excitement! Then they had to assemble in a daisy chain - but they still wanted to jump in the water instead. I hope the instructor wasn't too hung over!

So I started with the kids, then added the water, then the buildings in the background. That's how I sketch. No planning. Just with what my heart tells me!


For my second sketch, I moved back to look at the red pillars on the plaza, with the green seats. Once you draw those pillars, you can only be in one place in Dublin. I did add people and seagulls, also essential to the sense of place. And then, as light as I could, I added the buildings in the background. Then the sun came out for a few minutes and gave me these wonderful shadows.


I found it hard to get everyone to smile at the same time. It's hard to interrupt 29 sketchers from their passionate conversations! It was great to see everyone! And so glad we're still able to meet outside, without being frozen or drenched!




No comments:

Post a Comment