Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Chinese New Year

Well, that was a few weeks ago now, wasn't it. I'm losing track of time. But I'd better post it now. 
So, despite the coronavirus, the Chinese New Year celebrations went ahead in Dublin. There was a statement on their website saying that most of the Chinese community in Ireland was from a different region, so everything was safe. I think it's over two weeks ago now, and I'm still here, so I guess everything's all right!! Pretty scary stuff though.

Great location, at the old vegetable market. Lots of activities for children and grown-ups. Lots of yummy food. And these two ladies wearing glamorous dresses! They spotted me sketching, and offered to pose for me. I was delighted with the opportunity, but I don't think they were too happy when they saw the result. Let me just say that they didn't ask if they could take a photo of my drawing!! And by the way, it was so cold that they had coats at the ready to put on any time they were not needed on stage or for photo ops.


Then I got too cold and went for a hot chocolate in a café nearby and got lost in line. It was a really peaceful time for me, all on my own. And I was then re-energised to meet up with the group afterwards. I'm really an introvert, so I need quiet times so I can re-center myself before I have to be social!


Young girls at the festival were dressed in these beautiful pink and blue dresses with long floaty sleeves. Before going on stage, they huddled together, and I couldn't resist capturing them. You kind of had to be there, but that's often the way it is with the way I sketch - it's just for myself really, and brings back strong memories, even if it looks like just a blob of colours to other people.


No comments:

Post a Comment