Saturday, February 01, 2020

30 faces/30 days - to the finishing line!

OK, let's try and post the rest of them before I lose my enthusiasm

Day 14 - the missing day - coloured pencils is not something I do much, but it was actually quite interesting


Day 19 - using a dark background definitely helped cope with the profile. Again, I don't normally use pencil, but it was really interesting to work the shading gradually.


Day 20 - cross-hatching with a biro is something for people who are more patient than me. In the end, I grabbed my watercolours and applied a wash! By the way, I really like the colour mix - ultramarine, alizarin crimson and sap green! (over black biro cross-hatching)


Day 21 - one colour - keeps things simple, particularly as I was travelling with minimal supplies.


Day 22 - a different interpretation of using a dark background to define the profile - now that I look at him, I think he looks a bit devilish!


Day 23 - minimal lines with a pen - I don't know if you've noticed but I'm really starting to look at ears - they are fascinating!!


Day 24 - still travelling - this one was about leaving the forehead quite blank. I should have used that advice for the other wrinkles!


Day 25 - drawing the hands - that was tough, but using negative space did help a bit! And I'm back from my travels and I can use white gel pen for the reflections in the eyes. I really missed that gel pen!


Day 26 - challenge fatigue - why did I use blue pencils for the forehead wrinkles? Plus the face is completely wrong. The model was so handsome, I swear!


Day 27 - this was about using your imagination - I was running out of time and added the first thing that came to my mind, hence the nun/mother-of-god look!


Day 28 - patterns were so relaxing - I normally don't have the patience for this but it was much more enjoyable than I expected!


Day 29 - nearly there - patterns again, but on the skin this time! My beige Ecoline went green with the ink. Not a good look!


Day 30 - can't believe I've finally reached the finish line! My favourite of the 30. I would never have been able to draw a portrait like this 30 days ago! Thank you to the wonderful Sktchy instructors!


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! At least now I feel that if someone gave me a photo of somebody they want a portrait of, I have the tools to give it a go!!

      Delete