Friday, February 14, 2020

Back to watercolours

Well, it's a start! I've finally picked up my brushes and put paint to paper!
So I decided that the best way to get started again was to do what I love most, skies. Maybe that's all I should ever do. Everything else ends up looking twee.

So this first one here is my favourite, where I managed to convey the light and the feeling of rain infusing the landscape. The key is to keep my colours light. I should know, but I still paint heavy skies too often, as I try to increase value contrast - I just need to find the right balance.


This second one was done on slightly lighter paper (300gsm, on a block) and the paper buckled in the centre, giving the impression of a tornado forming over the land! It would have been nice if it hadn't been right in the middle of the page!!


This one was a failed watercolour where I applied some of the things I'm learning from John Lovett's website. From glazes to gesso! Lots of interesting tips. I need to study these one at a time. Or my head will be all muddled!


And here trying to combine watercolour and line. All experimental. No pressure.


No comments:

Post a Comment