Sunday, December 02, 2018

The Human Body - Drawing and painting techniques and practise

Always good to go back to a book when I need to re-centre myself. 'Drawing and Painting the Nude, A course of 50 lessons', by Philip Tylyer is the book I chose for this. I decided to do the exercises right from the start even if I find that some of them are very basic. Quickly enough it will be moving to measuring, and I'll be in trouble then. So I might as well enjoy the simple stuff. (I'm actually tempted to skip the chapter on measuring - I know it's not a good idea. At this stage in my life, I know that measuring improves accuracy. But I also know I don't like measuring! I want to move to the fun things, anatomy, colour, and all of that good stuff!).

Here is what I've done so far, over a few days:


Copying an Egon Schiele drawing - right side up
upside down

with a grid - interesting how the grid has more detail where the face is

Working with a viewfinder. Never liked it

This is the original drawing, by Egon Schiele
This is my copy, painted with white acrylic on a black canvas, using grid and negative painting. Hard work but the effect is quite beautiful
Continuous line drawing. I really enjoyed drawing that way. (PS: the stone was only there to keep the page flat when I was photographing the drawing, easier than bulldog clips

Blind continuous line drawing. I recognise myself in this. My husband doesn't

'Partial peek' drawing. My husband sees a likeness. I don't like it!

All along, I was trying different pens in the sketchbook I'm using for this. This was a Micron Pigma. It's quite old but I liked how its scratchiness worked on this drawing.




No comments:

Post a Comment