Sunday, September 11, 2016

Foundations - Lesson 2 - Feeling Edges

Liz Steel's Foundations Lesson 1 was easy. There is nothing I love more than art materials (well, apart from my husband, my cat, my dog, my family, my friends, Ireland, soaps (the ones you wash with, not the ones you watch on the telly), shower gels, makeup palettes, beauty potions, candles, handbags, scarves, and many other things I can't think of right now, but that I'll probably regret not including in this list the minute I've pressed "Publish").

So drawing them and experimenting with them came naturally to me. But an online class would be of no value to me if it didn't challenge me! It's only Lesson 2, and it's already pushing me to all the things I struggle with - straight lines, angles, ellipses - all the things that are essential for urban sketching and still life! Just what I needed to push myself beyond my comfort zone.

Lesson 2 is about really looking at your subject, rather than looking at the page: blind contour, point-to-point contour. Things I've encountered before, but never practised enough. I want to sketch buildings with more confidence (and more accuracy!). So I'm going to need to practise this plenty, believe me.





No comments:

Post a Comment