Wednesday, November 04, 2015

Sushi and Beyond

A good friend of mine had liked this on Facebook. Sushi and Beyond is an animation cartoon about an American food writer, Michael Booth, who spent time in Japan with his family to explore all aspects of Japanese food. It is based on his book of the same name.

This program is in English on NHK World. I'm not sure who it's aimed at - the English-speaking planning a trip to Japan or the Japanese who want to listen to English language programs? It would be great if there was a Japanese language version of it too.

Anyways, if you're into food, like my other half, you will find this really interesting. Me, I do love Japanese food and when we go back to Japan some day, I will be the one doing the talking, hoping to know more than the 10 words I had the last time. So I am planning to watch every episode. I've just added it to my Google Calendar.

Today's show was about dashi, and it inspired my better half to make a dashi and noodle broth for lunch!

Sushi and Beyond is live on NHK World on Sundays, around 12 (GMT Winter time - 冬 時間 - It's pronounced fuyu jikan. I'm copying these kanji characters from Google translate and I hope to god that they are right!)



There might be an on-demand version, but I could not find it. What I found, though was a section of the website with Japanese recipes. So, if you would like to know how to make Dashi stock, check out Your Japanese Kitchen!

I'm hungry now!

No comments:

Post a Comment