Friday, November 20, 2015

Brooklyn

We went to the cinema last week. Something we hadn't done in a long long time. It just doesn't fit with dog walks.
But it was a wet day, and we thought it would be nice to avoid all that rain. We hadn't thought that half the country would be heading to the shopping centre too. But we were there early enough to get parking without too much trouble.

Now, about the movie - Brooklyn. I had read Colm Tóibín's book of the same name. And from what I remember, the film is quite faithful to the book. The only thing I would say is that 1950s Ireland sure looked a lot bleaker in the book than in the movie.

This is the first movie that I'm aware of where Saoirse Ronan is playing a young woman, rather than a child or teenager, and I thought that she did a good job of it. Actually I think she carried the whole movie on her shoulders - there are a lot of head shots of just her and her emotions.

When I finished reading the book, I remember feeling a lot more ambivalent about the choice made by the young woman. I felt she wasn't so sure herself that she had made the right choice. Or rather it was a case that there was no right choice. No such ambivalence in the movie, though.

I wonder will there be a movie made of Nora Webster? If there is, Saoirse Ronan would have to wait a good few years before she can fit the role.

No comments:

Post a Comment