Thursday, November 12, 2015

Sunflower

This sunflower is taking me a while to figure out. I thought I was doing well, until I was given the feedback that I was probably getting confused between acrylics and watercolours and I wasn't doing my beautiful set of watercolours justice. Comments that hit me hard at the time. But it got me thinking. And thinking. And thinking. Thinking so much that I ended up spending the rest of the week finishing that painting and exploring alternative styles. I went back through a number of the many watercolour books I have acquired over the years! Looking for inspiration. And clues. And guidance. If I happened to wake up in the middle of the night, I would start thinking about that Sunflower again!


Here is where it was this time last week. When I look back at it now, it looks dull and stiff to me. I had definitely lost the vibrancy of my preliminary sketch, and the movement of the pencil thumbnails. Exactly what I had feared.

But a short seven days ago, I was very happy with it. I am clearly not very self-critical. I think I inherited this trait from my mother - a great confidence in myself, even when that confidence is totally misplaced!

Thankfully, I didn't stop there (I was tempted!).

To be continued ...



No comments:

Post a Comment