Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Sunflower - the obsession IV


Now we're getting somewhere!

I had to crop this sunflower really tight, because I had almost ruined it by adding dark leaves in the bottom right. But I was so happy with the way the red and orange and yellow worked together, flooded into each other, forming gorgeous blooms (no pun intended, that's the watercolour term when a watery colour is applied before the paint next to it is completely dried and it pushes into the other colour), that I had to salvage it.

This was a really impulsive painting, and I had it painted in a flash. And I believe that's the secret for me. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to reach that middle ground between too tight and too loose in terms of style. But if all my paintings can look as dynamic and vibrant as this, I'll be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment