Thursday, February 05, 2009

Winter Wonderland

It's not something we see every year - Snow.

It snowed a good bit on Monday - a good bit being relative, of course, I'd say 3 or 4 cm. We stayed indoors all day and took it easy.

Things improved on Tuesday morning, but then got bad again in the late afternoon. Lucinda was stuck in traffic for four and a half hours driving home from work. I'm glad I didn't have to face that! Needless to say, our yoga class was cancelled.

Then yesterday, it all cleared. We got rain and there was no snow left on the ground, bar the last remnants of a few strong snowmen. I really thought it was all over for another 5 years!

This morning started dry and clear, but then, around 11:30, it started to snow quite heavily, and the roads were a mess. It took me 50 minutes to get back from a customer in Templeogue, mostly in first gear (probably really bad for the car, but the traffic was crawling). It's 2pm now and it's just started to ease, but the forecast is for snow for the next few hours. We'll see how it goes.

I do love the crunchy sound it makes under the feet and the peaceful feeling of a snowy landscape. But I hate the consequences: the bad roads and slow traffic, and the fact that the whole country grinds to a halt.

1 comment: