Saturday, February 07, 2009

Alien vs Predator

We watched Alien vs Predator on the telly a couple of weeks ago. It's not half as good as Alien (I can't comment on Predator - I don't think I ever saw that movie), but passable enough to keep me watching (and you know me, if I don't like a movie, I won't put up with it).

OK, we knew right from the start that most of the human protagonists would die, and they did, apart from the strongest of them all (and yes, it's a woman - but she's not as tough as Sigourney Weaver!). Most of them suffered the horrible Alien deaths (either you get a baby Alien in your tummy and it comes out and rips you up from the inside, or an adult Alien rips you to bits, generally after having stalked you for a while and scared you to death), although without the suspense of the original Alien, and without the dark visuals. That said, the sets and special effects were pretty good, and the story was carried forward at a good pace (plenty of humans to kill!). But it's not as scary as Alien (a movie that, to this day, I could not watch on my own)

I couldn't find a decent website about it. On the other hand, the Wikipedia entry for Alien (link above) is rich with design and production information, telling you all about how they did the special effects for the Alien eggs, and other gory details.

Apparently, there is a sequel to Alien vs Predator. I wouldn't hurry to the cinema to see it, but if it's on the telly and I'm bored, I'll probably watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment