Saturday, February 14, 2009

Nanci Griffith at The Helix

Brendan and I have a fondness for Nanci Griffith - she is a very good live performer, and always has nice rambling stories to tell about her songs. She was performing at The Helix in DCU last night, and we went to it. It was our first time at The Helix - nice place, not the most convenient for us unfortunately.

The concert was great - she played plenty of the old favourites, like Trouble in the Fields, Ford Econoline, It's a Hard Life, Love at the Five and Dime, ... She was playing with minimum accompaniment, but it worked well, though the big stage could have done with a bigger orchestra. The big shock, I guess, is that her hair is grey! The last time I saw her at The Gaiety, I would swear her hair was still black, and it's not that many years ago. Brendan and I felt that the audience was quite old - of course, we still feel like we are 19, so all those 40-somethings and 50-somethings are ancient!

One thing I love about Nanci Griffith is how comfortable she is on stage - when she introduces a song, it's like she's having a chat with a friend over tea and biscuits. She is touring so much (look at her website, on the Tour Archives page!), it's no surprise she is so cosy with being on stage.

There is a lovely video of Nanci and Maura O'Connell singing Trouble in the Fields on YouTube. I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:17 pm

    I was at that show in the Helix too. I would also just like to mention the support artist on the night - Nicole Maguire. What a fantastic voice from a young new Irish talent. I highly recommend checking her out on her website www.nicolemaguire.com

    ReplyDelete