Monday, May 22, 2006

More watercolour experiments

At the weekend, I decided to paint little squares, 5x5cm, with a view to cutting them and pasting them on cards. While I was watching last week's episode of Invasion on the telly, I prepared little designs on a post-it, just to figure out what shapes I wanted inside the squares.
Then, I used the Masquepen masking fluid to draw the shapes, just little doodles really. Then I painted them, using Winsor & Newton Cotman watercolours (they are the cheaper range), Winsor & Newton Artists' Watercolours (they are more expensive, and tend to give more vibrant colours, though I find the Cerulean blue very dull and disappointing) and the Derwent Aquatone pencil for Light Blue, which produces a lovely bright blue.

Over the next few days, I'll post some of the resulting pieces. Some of them are just gorgeous. They work well individually or in groups. And they look fabulous when you look at them at full screen. Remember that the originals are just little squares, 5 cm by 5 cm. Maybe I should try to reach the same effect on big squares. Remember to click on the picture to see it full screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment